Security For Park Homes
Security for park homes is an issue that concerns all owners of park homes, especially now that the nights are beginning to draw in. This guide is designed to help you think about the measures which can make you more secure in your park home.
Choose the right park
- Many parks are part of a local ‘watch’ scheme. If yours is not you could perhaps investigate and encourage you park managers to join one. Members of watch schemes have reportedly seen a reduction in theft and other crimes in UK residential parks.
- Does your park have regular security patrols by dedicated security staff? If there are alarm systems and CCTV, are they monitored on-site by security? This will greatly affect their efficacy as response time is much faster with on-site monitoring.
- Find out how your park management works with the residents to reduce crime. It is a good idea for the park management to sign up to a property marking scheme and a local property registration scheme.
- Does the park ask residents to empty their homes if they are not going to be used for an extended period? Although this is not always practical for residents, it should be possible for out-of-season holiday park homes and it can help reduce theft significantly, according to police.
Register and mark your property
As mentioned above, joining a property register and local ‘watch’ scheme can be a great security benefit for park home owners. Marking your property also helps with this and not only contributes to your own security but to your neighbour’s too.
- Make a list of all your electronics, gadgets and valuable items. Take photos and store, with the original documents of ownership and value, in a safe place.
- Mark your property with a UV, engraving or punching or ceramic and glass permanent marker. Be aware that these methods may affect the value of your items, so choose carefully.
- There are companies that allow you to register all your items on a database of marked goods. They typically use more advanced methods of marking such as microdots or forensically unique liquids. Secured By Design lists many products and services approved by police forces.
- Don’t forget to advertise the fact that your property is marked. This has been proven to discourage thieves. Marking solutions will often come with stickers to place around your property. Display them prominently as deterrence is the aim here.
Secure the doors and windows of your park home
- Park homes have a variety of doors and windows, so there is a wide range of security solutions available. Consult a master locksmith as to the best way to secure yours.
- Secure all doors and windows whenever you leave your park home. The speed that some thefts can occur can be a shock. Remember to do this whenever you step away from your home.
Install an intruder alarm
- There are many different types of alarm to choose from. Your park management may be a good first stop for advice on the best one for you. Some parks sell or rent their own alarms as they run a monitoring and response service. This is worth taking part in as it often greatly improves response times and outcomes.
Remove property when you are out
- Never leave anything valuable in-sight as temptation to the opportunist criminal.
- When you are out for a short time, leave curtains open and valuables out of sight so that a potential thief can see there is nothing easy to take.
- Take your valuables, like your phone and wallet, items of daily jewellery and whatever else is practical, with you when you leave your park home.
- If you leave for an extended period, try to remove or at least conceal all valuables including larger items such as TVs and sound systems. You can then adopt the strategy of open curtains to signal the empty park home to passing opportunists.
- If you have been a victim of burglary or theft, report it by calling 101.
- If a burglary or theft is in progress, call 999 and ask for the police.
Be properly insured
- Make sure that your park home and its contents are properly insured. Talk to one of our experienced advisers about getting the right park home insurance to meet your needs.
- If you do need to make a claim, call our award-winning claims team as soon as possible. They will guide you through the process in what can be a stressful time.
This is a marketing article from Park Home Assist, multi award-winning providers of residential park home insurance. If you would like to speak to an advisor regarding insurance for your park home, please contact our friendly team in our Northampton office on 01604 946 796.
For more information about any of our other insurance products, please choose your product of interest below:
- Car Insurance for Park Home Owners
- Mobile Home Insurance
- Holiday Lodge Insurance
- Static Caravan Insurance
- Holiday Home Insurance
- Motorhome Insurance
- Touring Caravan Insurance
- Boat Insurance
Published – 17/09/21